OCEJPAD Certification Exam

The following two tabs change content below.
Prasad Kharkar is a java enthusiast and always keen to explore and learn java technologies. He is SCJP,OCPWCD, OCEJPAD and aspires to be java architect.

Latest posts by Prasad Kharkar (see all)

I am glad to tell that I’ve recently cleared OCEJPAD certification exam after a lot of hard work and dedication and I would like to share the experience so that others can benefit from it while preparing for OCEJPAD certification exam.

OCEJPAD Certification Exam:

The exam is meant for becoming Expert JPA Developer for Java EE 6 platform. You can find the details about OCEJPAD Certification Exam on official oracle page. Instead of going into details about the exam, I’ll tell how to prepare for it. I took the following approach.

• Study Pro JPA 2: Mastering Java Persistence API book.
  • Have some hands on experience.
  • Read JPA javadoc and JSR
  • Take mock exams and then real exam
  • Be a champion

Pro JPA 2: Mastering Java Persistence API

The book covers all the exam objectives of OCEJPAD Certification Exam. I would recommend reading and studying the book thoroughly at least twice. Prepare some notes (yes like we used to study in school). Start developing some sample programs to test the knowledge you’ve gained by reading book. I followed the same approach. Read one chapter, start developing code on the topics covered in chapter.

Hands On Experience:

Personally, I feel exam is difficult and more practical oriented, hence having hands on experience will be beneficial to understand the topics clearly. I used to read the book, develop code in eclipse for every topic. All the JPA tutorials you find on theJavaGeek are the result of my notes and hands on experience while preparing for OCEJPAD Certification Exam.

JPA Official Documentation:

Although a little tedious, its better if you can go through JPA specifications and JPA javadoc as some questions are directly from the specification documentations. Read them carefully.

Take Mock Exams:

Even though you feel confident after reading book and practicing code examples, I would recommend taking up mock exams before real OCEJPAD Certification Exam. There are some tricky questions regarding caching, relationships and criteria api.

I prefer Enthuware because of good experience with OCPWCD exam previously. Learned a lot from practice and standard exams and gained confidence for the real exam. My scores in 4 standard tests from enthuware are 86%, 72%, 75% and 86% respectively.

Real Exam Experience:

I scheduled the exam on Saturday, 6th September at NIIT FC Road, Pune. You can directly visit and purchase voucher and immediately take exam. There were some problems with exam server from PearsonVUE side but Admin at NIIT named Sandeep did some efforts and solved those issues and assured me there won’t be any problem afterwards. He was quite helpful in the session.

The exam started and I felt the questions came serially topic wise. For example, some questions on relationships consecutively, then some on caching, then some on entitymanagers. Structure and difficulty level of questions was quite similar to Enthuware exams. The time is sufficient. You do not have to hurry to complete the test. One good thing I noticed was that you can strike out the options which do not seem correct. Hence it is easier to track the correct answer by narrowing down.

After exam finished, I could not see the result, hence asked Sandeep (Admin at NIIT) about it. He helped me with further process and explained how to view results on certview.oracle.com . (Yes Oracle has done things a little bit difficult. You have to login to certview to view the result and score card). I was glad that I could score 83% and hence becoming Oracle Certified Expert, Java EE 6 Java Persistence API Developer.

I have missed some of the topics for tutorials on theJavaGeek, now I’ll continue writing articles about those JPA topics so it becomes easier for you to prepare for exam.

Happy learning 🙂

Share Button

15 comments for “OCEJPAD Certification Exam

1. Khaled
    March 14, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I have asked a question previously, and I put my comment here, but afterwards, you have deleted it ?? tell me why ? why did you treat me this way ?

• March 14, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Dear Khalid,
      I would like to apologize as your comment is not present here, but let me assure you I have not deleted it. If you are offended by it, I deeply apologize for it.
      Please let me know your query and I will solve it as soon as possible. Again I apologize for what happened.

• Khaled
        March 15, 2015 at 12:46 am

I would like also to apologize for my last comment and for the manner in which I spoken, sorry for this misunderstanding, I also would like to thank you for your prompt response Mr Prasad.

My question it was about JPA exam, how could you advise me ? Right now I’m about finishing the Pro JPA book, and at the same time I make some practical examples with eclipse. As for JPA specification book, I see that you highly recommend it, is it very important for the exam ? because Pro JPA covers almost everything about JPA, why do we need to read it ?

Thank you in advance.

• March 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I recommend jpa specification because it contains all possible scenarios if all annotations and i believe books are written using references of specification itself. Its good that you have tried practically. You can refer all jpa tutorials on this site as they are jpa certification oriented. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• Khaled
            March 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Hi Mr Prasad, Thank you so much for these advice and for your help. I’ll ask you as soon as I have questions about JPA .
            Thank you.

• March 16, 2015 at 11:28 am

As said in the post, I recommend you should go by given order.
          1. pro JPA 2 book.
          2. Hands on exercise while studying from book
          3. After all hands on are done, read JPA specification thoroughly
          4. Mock exams are must. I recomment enthuware.
          5. Be a champion.

My story on javaranch: http://www.coderanch.com/t/639138/sr/certification/Cleared-OCEJPAD

2. Khaled
    March 21, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Hi Prasad, I have a question please, it’s about the topics of the exam, I see here “http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-898&p_org_id=&lang=” that there are many topics included in Pro JPA book that are not included in the exam topic, am I right ? I really read all the book but I have remarked that it’s too long and thus, it’s very hard to remember all of its content. The question I want to ask you is, must I read all the chapters in Pro JPA book? because for example the chapter 14 Packaging and deployment and chapter 13 XML mapping files are not included in the exam according to the above link? Could you please advise me ? I really remarked that the book is very long and it will be so hard to remember everything inside it for the exam sake.
    What are the chapters that will be included in the exam ? in other words which chapters from Pro JPA book I have to prepare for the exam ?

Best regards .

• March 23, 2015 at 11:42 am

Hi Khaled, I did not get any questions regarding xml mapping, packaging and deployment. I suggested to read all the topics which include exam objectives.Personally I did not delve deep into last 3 topics from the book i.e. xml mapping, deployment and testing. Also, I think book does not cover much about transactions and caching. It is recommended to go through jpa specification for these 2 topics. For caching, you can refer the tutotiarls here. THey will be quite useful.

3. Khaled
    March 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Hi Prasad, Okay thank you so much for your advise.
    As for the question about the two chapters XML and Packaging&Deployment I mean, are these two chapters included in the exam ? because I had a look at oracle website and I didn’t see that they are mentioned the exam topics. that’s all.

Thank you.

• March 23, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Hi Khaled, as per I said, I did not face any questions regarding xml packaging and deployment when I took the exam so I feel you need not focus on them, but there are many questions on transactions and caching. So I recommend you concentrate on those topics also even though they are not explained quite well in Pro JPA 2.

• Khaled
        March 24, 2015 at 1:17 am

Okay Prasad, thank you so much.
        I wish a good continuation for you, to be a java architect in the next future, as you dream to be.
        God bless you 🙂

• March 24, 2015 at 9:40 am

Thank you for those words 🙂 I wish you great future ahead 🙂

• March 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

Hi Khaled, after our discussion about questions on last 3 chapters from the book, I went through them and could relate to some questions which were asked in exam about packaging and deployment. I had prepared through enthuware mock exams also which had those questions, as I have written in the article, enthuware mock exam simulator will help you a lot and hightly recommended before you take real exam. It will help you gain confidence. So in short, yes, there are some questions regarding packaging and deployemnt, but I feel enthuware covers them well.

4. Khaled
    August 4, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hi, the last week I passed JPA exam with a great score Prasad, I would like to thank you so much for your advices and your help. Also, your website was really very helpful for me.

• August 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Heartiest congratulations on your certification exam success. It is indeed a tough exam and you’ve gone through it with flying colors. Be proud. My tutorial series is specifically meant for exam preparation and I am glad it was useful for you. Keep going.